Sunday, October 23, 2011

"Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death."

I read this quote on a friends facebook page today, and it is what I need to hear.  Take a minute to read the whole "Lion chaser's manifesto," written by Mark Batterson, inspired by his book In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day .

Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. Grab life by the mane. Set God-sized goals. Pursue God-ordained passions. Go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention. Keep asking questions. Keep making mistakes. Keep seeking God. Stop pointing out problems and become part of the solution. Stop repeating the past and start creating the future. Stop playing it safe and start taking risks. Expand your horizons. Accumulate experiences. Consider the lilies. Enjoy the journey. Find every excuse you can to celebrate everything you can. Live like today is the first day and last day of your life. Don’t let what’s wrong with you keep you from worshipping what’s right with God. Burn sinful bridges. Blaze a new trail. Criticize by creating. Worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. Don’t try to be who you’re not. Be yourself. Laugh at yourself. Quit holding out. Quit holding back. Quit running away.

We made a decision 26 years ago to take a risk and join the staff of Campus Crusade for Christ to impact lives for Christ.  It hasn't been a safe life in many ways, and at times the risk of failure seems too scary for me, I want to play it safe.  I know I have shrunk back from pursuing this kind of life at times with my family, my ministry, my relationships. I have wanted the "safer" way.

We are are not living in a dangerous country.  There is no gunfire on our street.  But these risks are just as real to me.  The risks include loving my wife and kids knowing I will mess up again, and will hurt them; challenging the status quo in a 60 year old missionary organization; inviting others to join our financial support team; talking about Christ with the people around me.  I want the "safer" way.

In my role in Campus Crusade, the risks can be life threatening to those I serve.  My job as crisis manager means approving trips to "risky" countries, responding when crises threaten our staff and ministries.  In HR it means is addressing an area of someone's life that brings threatens their ability to continue in ministry...engaging with people in areas of their character.  Not easy or comfortable things for me.  I want the "safer" way.

But today it makes me remember that I want the richness of the abundant life God promised He has for me.  I want to express deeply the love I have for my wife.  I want to enjoy the journey with my kids.  I want to not let my flaws keep me from engaging with God and others.

Today this manifesto makes me remember that I've had the privilege to work with so many others that are living this out each day.  And I'm not just talking about other missionaries, but many on our financial support team, and other believers as well.  The way the world is impacted is by people stepping out on a limb and trusting that God will meet them. I know people who live like this, but I also know people who, like me, want the "safer" way..

People need the life that Jesus came to give, they need forgiveness, they need Him to change their hearts, their lives.  It is worth investing in, and it is worth calling others to join us in a life like this.  I'm willing to keep taking some risks, to keep doing things that make my heart beat faster, that make me nervous, that scare me almost to death...I'm willing to keep trying things that might fail.   It is worth being intrusive in the lives of others.

Am I willing to live like this?  I want to.  I'm gonna give it a shot.  I want to quit holding back, to quite running away.  God give me strength.


No comments:

Post a Comment