Friday, June 10, 2016

Tell me the truth!

Coming out of the ocean, I ran up the beach and met my friend Pam.  I didn’t know as I was walking up to her that an unsightly “thing” was hanging out of my left nostril .

Pam didn’t know what to do.  So, she said nothing.  She kept talking to me, hoping that by chance I might notice and wipe it away.  I did not, and so we kept talking with this “thing” sitting under my nose.

After about 5 minutes, Dayna joined us, and immediately said, “Hey, you have a big “thing” under your nose!”  

“Pam! How could you not say something?”  

Pam said. “After the first minute passed, it just got too awkward to say anything about it!”

It can be hard to tell someone something they need to hear.  In fact, we often don’t even tell truth that would be pretty easy to tell, like telling someone they have done a good job. 

A few years ago I helped create a process that asked Cru supervisors to have conversations with each staff to establish expectations and give helpful feedback on how they did.  It sounds simple, but it just had not been happening much. One staff member said, “I’ve been on staff 24 years and no one has ever given me feedback on my role.”

The process works so that the final conversations take place during the month of May.  All over our HQ, you could see staff sitting together talking about their jobs and their growth.  It is a beautiful thing to see. 

It’s not perfect, but it’s becoming more the norm that our staff are getting feedback.  It helps us as Cru be better stewards of those He has raised up…everyone’s role matters.  It’s one of the things with Cru I’m most pleased to have been a part of because it helps us be more effective in all we do.


Thanks for your partnership,






No comments:

Post a Comment